Summer here on Columbia is drawing to a close. School is back in session and the weather is starting to turn. But, before you know it, it’ll be time to fire up the heating portion of your HVAC system. It’s probably been a good 6 months or more since it last ran. It may be time for a checkup. Here’s what that should include if you have one done:
- Inspect, clean, or change air filters
- Check thermostat settings
- Tighten all electrical connections
- Check controls of the system
- Check all gas (or oil) connections
- Test gas pressure, burner combustion & heat exchanger
- Check and inspect the condensate drain
- Clean and adjust blower components
- Lubricate all moving parts
Here at A1 Columbia Plumbing & AC, we always advocate for DIY work when it makes sense. But, we also understand that many people aren’t do-it-yourselfers. If you are, please follow this checklist or integrate it into your own. Remember the old Chinese proverb that has served me well over the years : “I See and I Forget… I Hear and I Remember… I Do and I Understand”. Getting your hands dirty and inspecting your system yourself may help you really understand how it works. The flip side is, you can also jack up a system that can cost anywhere from $3k to $15k to replace depending on a number of factors.
As always, we’re here to serve. If you need a furnace inspection, please contact us any time for professional HVAC maintenance. We are open 24/7 and offer a full range of emergency plumbing, heating and cooling services. Enjoy the rest of your summer!